About Sam Ferguson – aka “Sammy”
In 1995, Sam was involved in a freak mountain bike crash resulting in paraplegia from a burst fracture of the 12th thoracic and 1st lumbar.
That following winter "Good Morning, America" featured Sam in an introductory disabled ski lesson which re-established his confidence and self-esteem to believe in and pursue his dreams as a competitive monoskier.
Since that time he has been an active volunteer for Challenge Aspen and an advocate for monoskiers around the globe participating in Ride the Rockies a 565 mile bike tour across Colorado, Disabled Division Champion of the Aspen Highlands Town Race Series, 24 Hours of Aspen fore-runner and most recently taking the Silver Medal in Mono Skier Cross at X-Games 13.
He’s been highlighted in Warren Miller Film’s, "Journey," in 2003 for his first disabled descent of Aspen Highlands Bowl and "Playground" in 2007.
Sam has accepted a spot with the Challenge Aspen Competitive Program as a monoski competitor for the USSA North American Adaptive circuit and hopes to qualify for the Federation of International Skiing Adaptive World Cup circuit in Super G and Downhill next year. The program is directed by Kevin Jardine with assistance from Head Coach, John McBride and Assistant Coach, Johnathan Micah.
About Ollie Nieuwland-Zlotnicki – aka “Oski, Otown, Hey you with the face”
Skiing is neat. It makes me Happy
About Jason Brown – aka “Jay Brown”
I started skiing at the age of 14 on the trash heaps in michigan, where i grew up. Now, i'm 32 years old and have been in aspen, colorado for 6 years.This '08-'09 season i have been moving forward with my skiing level and involvment in the sport/industry. I am anticipating hitting the comps next year with my aspen crew which has now been dubbed the "Aspen Ripper Factory" for our burly skiing and ability to "send" the venues in style."Any day in the mountains is a good day , especially if you're in the " white room", where nothing else matters and time stands still"!
Check out my main website which has my full resume and all photos on it.
About Dave Watson – aka “Sudsy”
Why Freeride? Why Hike for my turns? Is it only that the goods are up there and I am down here? Or is it the ultimate progression level, a fusion of steeps and tricks over exposed terrain with the parks and pipes far below on the mountain.
Freeride is many things to many people. My buddies that teach think of freeriding as a day off from teaching to go rip around. Others that spend a lot of time in the park and pipe set aside days to go freeride. To me freeride is everyday that the gates are open. Hiking to terrain that is either too steep or too long of a walk is a way of life.
For 2009 my Freeride begins here on Snowmass as they get the steeper terrain open and and I can work on the technical lines and drops that will help me prepare for the 1st stop of the Freeride World Tour in Sochi, Russia Jan 20-26 where I will face 19 of the World’s best freeride snowboarders. Then it’s back in the Rockies for the 1st 2 stops of the North Face Masters at Snowbird, Utah and Crested Butte Colorado. Some ripping on the slopes of Aspen/Snowmass and then out to Squaw Valley USA for the 2nd stop of the Freeride World Tour on the legendary Tram Face. Tignes, France Hosts the 3rd stop of the Tour March 8-15 and then to Freeride sickness at Verbier Switzerland for the World Championships. Finish it off back on The Mass and add in some backcountry touring til I trade out the snowboard for a surfboard.
Check out my full bio @ www.loopd.com/members/Sudsy/Default.aspx
And catch the action www.freerideworldtour.com
About Nate Berkel – aka “Berkman”
- Years Riding: Steady for 7 years. Off and on since the age of 7.
- Hometown: Aspen, Colorado
- Sponsors: High Society Freeride, Helly-Hansen, Incline Ski Shop, Smith, Hi-5
- Tricks: Switch Rodeo 5 and 7 (truck or high-mute), switch 450 onto rails and boxes.
- On Nate’s iPod: g-unit, eminem , MJ, 50, do or die, Led Zeppelin, Cold Play, The Postal Service, Eric Clapton, The Beatles, Kanye West, Usher, Frou Frou, Ben Harper, Panic at the Disco, Spank Rock, Neptunes, and Bob Marley, Akon, Dr. Dre, Obie Trice, Lil Wayne, Ludacris, Swollen Members, The Clipse
- When I'm Not On the Mountain I am freeskiing, skating, break-dancing, art, tennis etc.
- Movies: Requiem For A Dream, Fight Club, Donnie Darko, Train Spotting, Vanilla Sky, & Old School
- TV Shows: Entourage, Family Guy, Futurama, Lost, the Simpsons, MTV, & Dave Chappell Show
- Books: From Pieces to Weight, The Hardy Brothers, The Da Vinci Code, Lord of the Flies
- Biggest Influences: Candide Thovex, Jon Olsen, Corey Vanular, Tanner Rainville, etc .